PDA

View Full Version : 1961 Eureka ambulance

Martin Harvey
09-11-2012, 08:29 PM
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=781196

I Can't see the pics, maibe that's because im in Canada who knows... does it looks nice?

Adam Borkat
09-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Oh my!!!

I had always wondered what ever came of this, and now we know!

http://cdn.publicsurplus.com/sms/docviewer/cdnaucdoc/img/781196/5729082

Attila Bethlenfalvy
09-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Much better than the two you initially posted of this rare high top a couple years ago Adam.

Mike Stevens
09-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Are any members bidding on this? After Danny's adventure in towing I think I would be a bit leary of towing from New Mexico to Ohio.
But then this is a 61 Cadillac.
Mike

Martin Harvey
09-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Uh Oh, cracked window, someone should save this car soon or it will be problematic to restore the interior...

James Fischer
09-11-2012, 09:07 PM
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=781196

I Can't see the pics, maibe that's because im in Canada who knows... does it looks nice?

Ohhhhhhhh Martin,,,,,,,,,ohhhhhhh my..........you should see this ambulance......wow..............ohhhhhhh.......... .:rofl:
Sorry,couldnt resist !!

Jim
PS hope you get to "see it" soon !!!

Martin Harvey
09-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Haha James, Ill see it now, maybe a server problem for an hour! I remember seeing this Eureka on the forum sometimes ago, that's a rare high boy !

Bruce Biancalana
09-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Nice car thats for sure!

Brian Whelan
09-12-2012, 01:08 AM
has anybody seen this car this could be a scam lets see some pictures,brian 917-499-9994

Mike McDonald
09-12-2012, 07:45 AM
has anybody seen this car this could be a scam lets see some pictures,brian 917-499-9994

It has the outward appearance at least that it's a legitimate Taos County (NM) Public Auction. The amazing part is that it has probably sat in that exact spot for 20+ years before they got around to selling it without being damaged otherwise! MM

Kurt Arends
09-12-2012, 08:46 AM

Click on the link. They have taken lots of photos.

Wayne Krakowski
09-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Appears to have been used for target practice,rough,but mostly there,needs a talented,restorer,mechanic and bodyman.:smileflagcan:

Paul Yates
09-12-2012, 09:57 AM

I see tons of pictures. Seems very legit. Shes a beauty. Hope someone saves her and brings her back!

David Martin
09-12-2012, 12:17 PM
The site is very legit. I've been using it with local stuff I dabble in. Only contains local, state liquidations.

As for the High top, I've seen very nice restorations with a much poorer starting condition. It needs to be saved for sure.

John ED Renstrom
09-12-2012, 12:45 PM
looks like all the key stuff is there. man what a combination of lights used for warning devices. I see 58 Chevy in front 53 on the side 59 high up and off hand I don't recall the ones on top of the door. but man what a temptation. almost makes me want another high top.

Joseph McDonald
09-12-2012, 05:08 PM
One interesting feature I noticed on this car is the use of bucket seats in the driving compartment with what looks like a factory Eureka center console.

I have never seen this before on a professional car of this era.

Nicholas Yassan
09-14-2012, 01:10 PM
To the Eureka builders of High Top Ambulances in 1959.....

Can you please add a rear canopy to your Ambulances next year?!

I just wanted to be the person who asked that question. I like the way it looks even if it bumps my head.

Steve Lichtman
09-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Man, I love that. I can swing the money, and it'd be an amazing road trip to NM and back. :drive2:
I wish I had place for it.

John Royark JR
09-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Man, I love that. I can swing the money, and it'd be an amazing road trip to NM and back. :drive2:
I wish I had place for it.

I have room. How about this deal, you swing the money, I will store it for you. :cool::cool:

Steve Lichtman
09-14-2012, 09:29 PM
I have room. How about this deal, you swing the money, I will store it for you. :cool::cool:Will you handle shipping and restoration?

Tim Prieur
09-14-2012, 10:47 PM
You boys need to figure out how this can work, because this car needs to be saved.

Attila Bethlenfalvy
09-14-2012, 11:32 PM
Bet your last dollar that it will be Tim.

The heavy hitters proclaim nothing publicly until after the fact.

Paul Steinberg
09-15-2012, 07:29 AM
Current Price:$2,225.00

Terms of the auction.........
Extensions
If a bid is placed during the final 5 minutes of an auction, the end time will automatically extend for additional 5 minutes. This will continue until no bids are placed during the last five minutes.
Think of it like a live auction: When the auctioneer is wrapping things up for an item, a person might make a bid at the last moment. The auctioneer then asks if anyone else would like to make a higher bid, essentially extending the auction until everyone has had a chance to make their final bid on the item.
Most online auctions are bid on during the final minutes. This option allows everyone a fair chance to bid until no more bids are placed.

I have already made my predictions on where this is going to end, and have told Atti. We will see if I have come up with the correct number.

Note to Ed...

How long is it going to take to get this one painted and ready for the show circuit???

John Royark JR
09-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Will you handle shipping and restoration?

I cant ship it, but I will preserve the current condition plus keep it vacuumed, and drive it on a regular basis to keep everything moving.

On a serious side, you mentioned shipping. Does anyone know what one of these hi-boys weigh. I assume it has to add at least a few hundred more than a standard hightop ambulance.

John ED Renstrom
09-15-2012, 11:50 AM
getting it ready would depend on if you got it and want me to do it or if I got it and am doing it around othere peoples car. but it in now worse shape then you 69. looks to me to be a 50 grand car depending on what gets paid for it. New Mexico still gets winter. and the car sitting out in the open not being moved has damage in spots that trap stuff. the key on this on is all the trim is still there and from the pictures not damaged. one does not know if it will run. those and the mystery things. but she is all ready over what I would pay for it. but then my pockets are kind of sewn shut.

Abe Bush
09-15-2012, 02:15 PM
I cant ship it, but I will preserve the current condition plus keep it vacuumed, and drive it on a regular basis to keep everything moving.

On a serious side, you mentioned shipping. Does anyone know what one of these hi-boys weigh. I assume it has to add at least a few hundred more than a standard hightop ambulance.

That's a great question, I'll bet the Hi Boys weigh the most of any hightop because they are top heavy and plus all Eurekas have a wooden frame.

Abe

Attila Bethlenfalvy
09-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Eureka finished their transition to all steel bodies for '57.

Abe Bush
09-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Eureka finished their transition to all steel bodies for '57.

Thanks for that Attie, I didn't know that but now I do! :)

Abe

John ED Renstrom
09-15-2012, 09:21 PM
truth is I'm working on a 58 that is wood from the bottom of the glass up. so I would say they went to a part steel body in 57. the waight is probily not all that much different in them either way.

Cary Livingston
09-18-2012, 06:15 PM
$9700 plus 10% BP....hmmmph. :)

Kurt Arends
09-18-2012, 07:02 PM
I am thrilled to see that it brought that kind of money. That tells me that we are seeing an increased interest in these pro cars. That car ought to be worth the $10,670 which it brought. Try to find another '61 Eureka Hi-Boy in that condition. Hopefullly(and I assume), the new owner has the the financial wherewithal to see that this car is restored properly.

Bill Marcy
09-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Congratulations to the new owner! I sure hope that rare beauty gets treated to a quality restoration and a good home.

John Royark JR
09-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Congratulations to the new owner! I sure hope that rare beauty gets treated to a quality restoration and a good home.

I second your comment.
Anyone know where it is headed?

Attila Bethlenfalvy
09-19-2012, 08:10 AM
I am thrilled to see that it brought that kind of money. That tells me that we are seeing an increased interest in these pro cars. That car ought to be worth the $10,670 which it brought. Try to find another '61 Eureka Hi-Boy in that condition. Hopefully (and I assume), the new owner has the the financial wherewithal to see that this car is restored properly.

My conservative guess last week to Paul was $8-10k as it sits and my buyer bowed out when it went over $8k. Other collectors I spoke with not on this site assessed value from $6k-15k - quite a range. (Frankly, I'd like to hear Bruce Biancalana's value assessment.) Not rotted, mainly complete, and possessing a scarce '61-'62 Eldorado bucket seat option? Mainly in agreement with you Kurt. Not sure if this proves an increased interest in procars however. This '61 benefited from increased exposure being posted here which drove price up. Had it not been posted on the PCS and flown under the radar, it's likelihood of closing for 1/3 the auction price realized may have proven more accurate.

The buyer has Jeremy in his moniker (jeremy9146). Assuming this is factual, Moberg and Ledford don't fit...so maybe Jeremy Lund?

On the subject of Eureka Hi-Boys, who can add to these? Known existing:

'59 ex-Parish
'64 ex-Worner, now McDonald

Other Hi-Boys brought up here not known existing include:

'57 in CA wrecking yard last year.
'62 in RI from Tom Hoczyk's Polaroids.

Then there was a '60 crushed in OH 15 years ago...

Jeremy D. Ledford
09-19-2012, 10:54 AM
The buyer has Jeremy in his moniker (jeremy9146). Assuming this is factual, Moberg and Ledford don't fit...so maybe Jeremy Lund?

I can assure you it is not I who is bidding on this car! Although a unique car and would love to see it in person some time but its nothing that's on my radar at this time.

Bruce Biancalana
09-19-2012, 11:52 AM
My conservative guess last week to Paul was $8-10k as it sits and my buyer bowed out when it went over $8k. Other collectors I spoke with not on this site assessed value from $6k-15k - quite a range. (Frankly, I'd like to hear Bruce Biancalana's value assessment.) Not rotted, mainly complete, and possessing a scarce '61-'62 Eldorado bucket seat option? Mainly in agreement with you Kurt. Not sure if this proves an increased interest in procars however. This '61 benefited from increased exposure being posted here which drove price up. Had it not been posted on the PCS and flown under the radar, it's likelihood of closing for 1/3 the auction price realized may have proven more accurate.

'59 ex-Parish

When I first found out about this car I had intentions of bidding. Watching the auction closely, I placed my cap at 8000. The car is no dought worth the ending price. I hope that the buyer is someone we know so we can all continue to hear updates of this cars life. I will say, that if this car is done correctly the ending price is a small fraction of the funds that will be needed to complete this restoration.

John ED Renstrom
09-19-2012, 12:05 PM
I will say, that if this car is done correctly the ending price is a small fraction of the funds that will be needed to complete this restoration.

that very reason to me is why it not worth the price. you spent 10 and you don't have anything yet. it's in the bastard years were hood and fenders have to be off a pro car. you still don't know what all is wrong with it. but once fixed, if you could afford it, it will make a beautiful car. those hard wood cabinets in them and they way they finished off the inside were second to none. anyone that had a hand in building these cars took a lot of pride in there work. it shows in all that I have seen. my first view of it was in July of 07 it really looked a lot better then.

Fred Goerlitz
09-19-2012, 01:21 PM

'59 ex-Parish

1961 NJ Eureka customers:

Wanamassa, East Brunswick, and Fords, NJ all were white. MIddletown (2 tone green) and New Milford (unknown color)

Paul Steinberg
09-19-2012, 06:32 PM
I'll bet that this car is headed to New Jersey........ :myopinion:

Adam Borkat
09-19-2012, 06:51 PM

I'm not taking that bet! :agree:

Fred Goerlitz
09-19-2012, 09:13 PM

What makes you say that? I know its NOT heading to Hackettstown if in fact it is NJ bound. I hope it found a good home. It could have been originally a NJ car...

John Royark JR
09-20-2012, 10:09 AM
What makes you say that? I know its NOT heading to Hackettstown if in fact it is NJ bound. I hope it found a good home. It could have been originally a NJ car...

The new owner has come forward, here is the thread http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10194

Martin Harvey
09-30-2012, 09:18 PM
We forgot the '59 owned by Homer Simpson
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/12/49/28/02/captur10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=845&u=12492802)

Paul Newman
09-30-2012, 10:49 PM
OMG !!!! I almost fell off my chair when i saw that post NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!

John Royark JR
10-01-2012, 01:14 PM
We forgot the '59 owned by Homer Simpson
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/12/49/28/02/captur10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=845&u=12492802)

Here is another shot of the Homer ambulance. I love this shot in front of the Quick-E- mart. The episode is great! For those that do not know it was based off Neil Parish's Eureka Hi-boy.