PDA

View Full Version : 2x 1966 Pontiacs

Adam Borkat
09-05-2012, 10:32 AM
No photos for this one.

1966 Pontiac Funeral Coach - $2000 (Creston, Iowa) (http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3173534933.html)
Date: 2012-08-09, 1:02PM CDT
Reply to: hrzsh-3173534933@sale.craigslist.org]

1966 Pontiac Bonneville Funeral Coach with no rust. Has 51,785 actual miles. $2000.00 or best reasonable offer.
Please DO NOT E-MAIL as I am posting for a friend. Call 641-782-2424 or 641-202-1269. Thanks
================================================== ==============================================

1966 PONTIAC SUPERIOR HEARSE/AMBULANCE COMBINATION TRADES CONSIDERED - $3000 (CANFIELD, OHIO) (http://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/3240653824.html)
Date: 2012-08-30, 10:41PM EDT
Reply to: see below

1966 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE COMBINATION BUILT BY SUPERIOR. RUNNING BUT NOT DRIVEABLE. NO BRAKES. NO FUEL TANK. 389 CID 4V ENGINE WITH 3-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. CLEAR OHIO TITLE. INSPECTION AVAILABLE. QUESTIONS....JOE @ 330/397-2647
WILL CONSIDER FULL SIZE STATION WAGONS AS PARTIAL TRADES

http://images.craigslist.org/5Ne5Ed5U03E73Ia3p2c8u971478be8d241319.jpg

John Royark JR
09-05-2012, 09:29 PM
I talked to the owner of the one in Creston a few weeks ago. It is silver/grey with a black top. He said it was perfect, but has been sitting for at least 15 years, and it turns over. The guy that owned it ran a funeral home and when he retired kept this car and put it in an airplaine hangar where it has been since. Anyway he recently died and the wife is just trying to get rid of things, they since sold the hanger so they lost the storage space. They wife is in her 80s and the guy I talked to works for her on the farm. other than that he dont know anything about it as far as the coachbuilder things, but I did get out of him it says Superior and it has glass all around. So we know its a limostyle. Also, I asked about jump seats in the rear, he thinks it did but was not sure, so possibly a combo. He does not know if its a long or short wheel base but he was going to send me pics but have not got them yet. Nice guy, but computer illiterate, he dont even know what the internet is, and was going to send pics by mail.
Sounds like a great deal, almost sounds too good to be true, so we will see I guess.

Joe Rackov
09-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Just a warning to anyone that buys a Pontiac from 1965-1972. Especially a low mileage car.

Pontiac used a aluminum/nylon camshaft timing gear to reduce engine noise. And more importantly it was probably cheaper. Anyway, the plastic teeth flake off from the aluminum as normal wear. Unfortunately, some times the teeth break off in chunks allowing the timing chain to jump causing the engine to quit. Normally there is no problem with valves hitting pistons. From memory and experience I never saw a bent valve from a sprocket failure.

The correct procedure as I worked in a Pontiac dealer from 71-72 was to remove the timing cover, replace the gear and chain, drop the oil pan and clean all the nylon out as the oil pumps could under the "right" conditions to suck the plastic up into the pump screen thereby reducing oil flow to the oil pump. It was pretty common for non dealership technicians and flat rate dealership techs to "fudge" this part. Dealership techs were paid to clean the pan as part of the warranty operation but we all know how that sometimes was bypassed but still get paid for the operation.

Reduced oil flow to the bearings led to bottom ends going away. I knew of one tech in the dealership that had a comeback complaint of oil light on at idle after one of his flat rate fixes. He bumped the idle up until it had to idle at about 1500 so the oil light would go off. Obviously it was back a couple of times for the same complaint. The last fix was to disconnect the oil switch. FOR REAL! The car was back the next week for a bottom end overhaul that he blamed on oil pump failure........

I still remember the part numbers for that job, 483047 cam gear, 532992 chain, 9775217 timing cover gasket, 9794125 oil pan gasket, 6437462 oil filter. I do forget the old part number for the antifreeze though.

John Royark JR
09-06-2012, 04:03 PM
I talked to the owner of the one in Creston a few weeks ago. It is silver/grey with a black top. He said it was perfect, but has been sitting for at least 15 years, and it turns over. The guy that owned it ran a funeral home and when he retired kept this car and put it in an airplaine hangar where it has been since. Anyway he recently died and the wife is just trying to get rid of things, they since sold the hanger so they lost the storage space. They wife is in her 80s and the guy I talked to works for her on the farm. other than that he dont know anything about it as far as the coachbuilder things, but I did get out of him it says Superior and it has glass all around. So we know its a limostyle. Also, I asked about jump seats in the rear, he thinks it did but was not sure, so possibly a combo. He does not know if its a long or short wheel base but he was going to send me pics but have not got them yet. Nice guy, but computer illiterate, he dont even know what the internet is, and was going to send pics by mail.
Sounds like a great deal, almost sounds too good to be true, so we will see I guess.

I called the guy again today. He remembered me which was good. He did not realize I did not get the pics yet, but he did get someone that has a digital camera and knows about computers to take some pics of it. He said he will call sometime this evening and get my Email (he was busy, and on they road so could not write it down at the time). I will post them here after I get them. I will also let everyone here know if I am still interested or not in purchasing it.
What size engine would this have?

Also, he has a couple other cars ofr sale but I cant remember what they were, one is a 70s Buick, sorry no other procars.

Joe Rackov
09-06-2012, 06:43 PM
To add some background to the gear and chain post earlier. At that time the warranty was 5 years/50,000 miles and we did a bunch of those on warranty. I saw them fail as little as a thousand miles. I personally shucked a gear and chain on a Ram Air III 69 engine that I had in my 66 2+2 at 80,000 or so miles in 1973. And the 428 that is in my 67 2+2 now had the original gear and chain in it when I tore it down in 87 and that had about 125,000 miles on it as the odometer was on it's second time around per lube stickers on the door.

So it's just a matter of chance and luck but a Pontiac of that vintage I would definitely check to see if it has been replaced.

By the way, I put a bad number down for the timing chain, fat fingered it. It should be 532993, not 532992.

Tony Karsnia
09-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Well, here's the one from Creston, Iowa. I had a funeral home trip to Omaha yesterday so I took a little detour on the way home to scope out this car. As you can see by the photos, it's a 1966 Superior Pontiac Consort Model 305 limousine-style combination. It is being offered for sale by the widow of a retired funeral director from Creston. They got this car with the purchase of the funeral home in nearby Afton, IA in 1972. Sorry about the poor photos; they had some machinery around the car.

This car was last licensed in 1999, which was about the time it was put into storage and hasn't been run since. Other than the usual things involved in a mechanical revival, the car mostly just needs a good cleaning. It presents well, but does have a few small spots of rust (mostly in the dog-legs) that will start to pop soon. One of the drapes is badly stained and the front seat has a couple small tears. They had something mounted on top of the dash on the driver's side, so there are three holes there. The car does have factory air-conditioning and radio. No beacon, siren, cot, or cot hook. Bumpers, glass, and headliner all look good. There is a black vinyl top behind the Tiara molding and that is in nice condition. The silver paint appears original and will look nice again with a good wash and wax. Other than the typical surface rust spots (which are minor on this car), the frame and undercarriage looks good.

According to Tom McPherson's Superior, The Complete History, there were 102 examples of the Model 305 built in 1966. Suggested retail value $7,465 each.

The widow's neighbor is assisting her with the sale of this coach. They are very nice people and want to find the car a new owner who will appreciate it as much as her husband did. Even though the ad says $2,000 or best reasonable offer, they were not budging off the $2,000 mark yesterday.

Somebody should go save this car. If you like Pontiacs, especially short-wheelbase combinations, this is a true survivor. (I have already shared the photos with John Royark who gave me permission to post this.)

Tony Karsnia
09-10-2012, 04:49 PM
More photos...

Adam Borkat
09-10-2012, 05:39 PM
$2000 for that? Wow...

:4_11_9:

John Royark JR
09-10-2012, 06:51 PM
As Tony stated, he showed me the pics first. I have talked to the guy selling it a few times, but he still has not got pics to me so I am glad Tony stopped by.
Also I said in an earlier post I would mention if I was still interested after I saw pics.
This car looks great and needs to be saved but it is not going to be by me, as soon as I saw it was a Consort I lost all interest in it.

Tim Prieur
09-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Like Adam said: "WOW!!" Hopefully someone here is able to take it under their wing.

Shawn Blyler
09-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Looks like an absolute steal for $2,000. I agree, hope someone snaps this thing up soon.

John ED Renstrom
09-11-2012, 11:14 AM
2 for the car 1 to go get it. it's a poncho so it needs the timing chain replaced. car hasn't been run since 99, one maybe able to clean the stain out of the curtain, it looks like rust or water. but then what caused that? it's a limo style combo. someone lost the switch panel but that's superior so it could be found. silver kind of a Blanch color and that swatch of vinyl looks silly. hate that arched roof line on the consort of that years. looks like a broken back. small tear in the front seat and Tony says looks like some rust on the dog legs. it's out of Iowa so not a surprise there. I have a standing offer on my Seville. the landau makes driving it around awkward. but then I have almost everything taken care of on it. but the money I got off it would get this one but I'm losing my shirt on it. 5 cars here do we need one more unknown?? maybe some one else will snap it up and I won't have to make a choice. :toocool:

Bill Marcy
12-21-2012, 09:32 PM
I spoke to the owner by telephone, a very nice older lady. She referred me to call her husband's friend Gale, who supposedly knows cars, but he did not know whether the engine would turn over, or if it would need rebuilding, etc. I realize that the price sounds cheap, but you have to anticipate that if the engine is seized, or has major problems, the new owner will have to deal with it, to say nothing of brakes, tires, gas tank, fuel lines and on and on. It seems that most of you guys don't like the shorties, but I like them. With all of these things in mind, I wanted to offer her a grand. I guess it has been three, or four months now and I have not been able to get her back on the phone, I guess she doesn't want to talk to me. But, here are my questions; Has anybody bought this car? Did anybody else make an offer? My concern is that the car doesn't get destroyed, since I was told that it is now outside. I would appreciate any help you can give me, thanks.

John Royark JR
12-22-2012, 11:54 AM
I spoke to the owner by telephone, a very nice older lady. She referred me to call her husband's friend Gale, who supposedly knows cars, but he did not know whether the engine would turn over, or if it would need rebuilding, etc. I realize that the price sounds cheap, but you have to anticipate that if the engine is seized, or has major problems, the new owner will have to deal with it, to say nothing of brakes, tires, gas tank, fuel lines and on and on. It seems that most of you guys don't like the shorties, but I like them. With all of these things in mind, I wanted to offer her a grand. I guess it has been three, or four months now and I have not been able to get her back on the phone, I guess she doesn't want to talk to me. But, here are my questions; Has anybody bought this car? Did anybody else make an offer? My concern is that the car doesn't get destroyed, since I was told that it is now outside. I would appreciate any help you can give me, thanks.

Sounds like you are talking about the one in Creston, the silver one. I have not seen the car on craigslist for quite a while so it may have sold, but cannot be sure since I quit following the car after I learned it was a Consort. I have contacted them by the numbers in the begining of the thread. The man you need to talk to is pretty busy so you may have to call a few times.

Kyle Martin
12-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Sounds like you are talking about the one in Creston, the silver one. I have not seen the car on craigslist for quite a while so it may have sold, but cannot be sure since I quit following the car after I learned it was a Consort. I have contacted them by the numbers in the begining of the thread. The man you need to talk to is pretty busy so you may have to call a few times.

well john i got weak and tryed to call, twice. waiting for a return call as i decided (much to the chagrin of my wife) that i was going to buy these cars. both. still waiting on a return call as i said i would take both for the asking price. not even trying to make offer. just wanted both. waiting and hoping. already told my son we were gonna make a trip. wish me luck!

Mike Zaccaria
12-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Is there anyone that would pick up the hearse that does not run? Uship? To MA.

Bill Marcy
12-28-2012, 06:26 PM
well john i got weak and tryed to call, twice. waiting for a return call as i decided (much to the chagrin of my wife) that i was going to buy these cars. both. still waiting on a return call as i said i would take both for the asking price. not even trying to make offer. just wanted both. waiting and hoping. already told my son we were gonna make a trip. wish me luck!

I wish you get them both, then I won't have to wonder about the silver one any longer. Go get 'em!

Bill Marcy
12-28-2012, 06:28 PM

Yes John, you are correct, thank you.

Bill Marcy
12-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Is there anyone that would pick up the hearse that does not run? Uship? To MA.

I know someone that will pick up non-running vehicles. If anyone needs their info, I will gladly pass it along.

Kurt Arends
12-28-2012, 06:59 PM
I also know of a transport company that runs from South Dakota to the East Coast weekly. They have hauled several inops for me and don't object to doing it.

Paul Yates
12-28-2012, 07:59 PM
I also have a fantastic shipper here on the east coast. Hes an all around awesomely great guy. I will PM you his number.

Kyle Martin
01-09-2013, 11:29 AM
did anyone here buy these cars? now that limo is in the paint shop and i may have the car lot rented i might? really want a consort now (thanks a lot skip for MAKING me want one) but not a big project like the one in lousianna. maybe, i dont know,,,